I work full-time for a U.S. media company in a strategy/innovation/development role, but I am available on a limited basis for consulting services, training, public or private presentations and other interesting projects that don't compete with my employer's lines of business.
I'm particularly interested in:
- Content/product development strategy, including the integration of Web, mobile services and print.
- Newsroom reorganization and training. I've worked with newsrooms as small as just a few newspaper reporters up to an international broadcasting company. Each presents unique challenges.
- Social media/community engagement. I have deep roots in online interactivity (going back to the 1980s), have built several successful interactive communities, and have provided social media training in the United States, Europe and Asia.
- Open-source technology implementations. In the last few years I've helped more than a dozen newspapers move from proprietary online publishing platforms to Drupal-based systems that place control in the hands of journalists and enable new kinds of innovative services. I don't just envision systems. I can both speak geek and do geek. I write code.
- International projects in interesting locations. My passport still has a couple of blank pages.
In the 1990s I built one of the first modern newspaper online services, then migrated it to the fledgling World Wide Web. At the turn of the century I ran the content wing of a nationwide network of local portals. I'm the only person to have won both the Editor and Publisher Eppy for Individual Achievement and the Newspaper Association of America Online Innovator Award. Over the last 15 years I've spoken at conferences and provided training throughout the United States and in England, France, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Russia, Turkey, China (mainland and Macau) and Malaysia.
To contact me: email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +1-706-343-8008.